Difficulty level: Beginner
Duration: 1 day
Distance: 25 Km / 18 miles of paddling
Operational season: October to March
Departures: every day on request
Highlights: Close up views of Glacier Grey, paddling between icebergs and navigating the River Grey
- Pick up at Hostel/ Hotel in Puerto Natales 7:00 hrs (There is the option to be picked up in Torres del Paine National Park, should you already be there)
- Start paddling at Playa Grey (in front of Hotel Grey)
- Navigate between icebergs
- Paddle down river Grey until the confluence with river Serrano
- Return to Puerto Natales
THIS ITINERARY INCLUDES:
- Sea kayak guide
- Transportation from Puerto Natales or from inside Torres del Paine National Park (this must be on the regular route), to the River Grey sector
- Paddling equipment including drysuit
- Box lunch
- Transfer back to Puerto Natales
THIS ITINERARY DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Torres del Paine National Park entrance fee
- Excursion individual equipment (technical clothes, cleaning supplies, toiletries, camera, sunscreen, etc).
WHAT TO BRING:
- Base layers to wear under the dry-suit
- Middle layer / polar to keep warm
Note: Avoid cotton and jeans
DAY 1: Kayaking Lago Grey and Grey River
Kayaking Lago Grey and Grey River
We leave Puerto Natales in the morning by car and head to Lago Grey (Lake Grey) located in Torres del Paine National Park. There is the option to be picked up from the park, should you already be there.
On Grey beach we will instruct you on the safety precautions to have a secure and comfortable trip. We begin the excursion from Lago Grey, where it´s possible to paddle alongside stunning icebergs blown there by the wind after separating from the glacier. We will have the stunning Macizo Paine and the western mountain range as our landscape, as well as the famous Cuernos del Paine.
After navigating the lake, enjoying the wonderous scenery and mastering your kayak, we will go down River Grey. From now on it will be an adventure! Passing through rapids and canyons from start until finish, followed by numerous turns overlooking Sierra del Toro. We will have a break close to Grey Bridge, where we will enjoy a great lunch. Then, we will continue paddling until we find the confluence with River Serrano, the place where the grey waters full of sediment merge with the clear waters coming from Lago del Toro.
We finish our adventure at Pueblo Serrano where we will catch a transfer to go back to Puerto Natales.
Important: Please bear in mind that throughout the trip the itinerary may have to be modified, owing to the famous Patagonian wind.
If the wind is too strong, it will not be possible to enter to the Iceberg Zone. If this is the case, we will only paddle River Grey (which is sheltered from wind).